The Five Secrets to Happiness
In my school’s peer leadership class, my teacher revealed to us the five secrets of happiness that he had learned from a very wise and noble book. He printed it to us and gave it to us when we had our last gathering together before graduation, and it honestly is so influential. Every time I read it I suddenly feel like I have a purpose, and things don’t feel so bad anymore. When it’s broken down like this, happiness doesn’t seem so impossible or intangible anymore. So, whenever you’re feeling down or sad or completely lost, remember these five secrets to happiness:
1. Be true to yourself. Live with intention, and always ask yourself, “Am I following my heart? Is my life focused on the things that really matter to me?” Remember, don’t make life daily. A true, purposeful live is the accumulation of many happy days.
2. Leave no regrets. What we should fear most in life is the regret of not trying.
3. Become love. Life is love, and if you miss love, you miss life. There is a Navajo tradition of different “wolves” within us. Which wolf do you feed: the evil, angry envious, greedy, regretful, arrogant, and resentful wolf? Or the good, peaceful, loving, empathetic, hopeful, and joyous wolf? Loving relationships are essential in life too. Live by the believe of 7 positive comments for every negative one.
4. Live the moment. Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow but always robs today of its joy. If we want to live fully we must banish the word boring from our vocabulary.
5. Give more than you take. The more society focuses on the needs of the “small self” which comes in forms of luxuries, material possessions, the more society will deteriorate. However, when we focus on our core purpose which is to hand off a better world to the next generation, we find a deep sense of purpose.
Final thought: It’s not about how to achieve your dreams. It’s about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the Karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you.
When I first learned these five in my class, they deeply impacted my outlook on life. I hope reading this has done the same for you or at least has brought you some comfort or joy.
Please reblog so we can spread the message of happiness and hope to others. <3